Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What Not To Say To A Pregnant Woman

What is it about a pregnant woman that makes people loose all tact? People say & do things that they would NEVER do if I wasn't knocked up.

1. Size comments - "Wow, you're really big!", "Are you having twins?" or my personal favorite "There's no way you can make it much longer." Seriously? How would you feel if I went up to you and commented on the size of your butt? "Loving the donuts aren't we?" Wouldn't be so nice and conversational then would it? I know I'm pregnant and huge. I'm creating another human being you idiot.

2. Touching - Why do strangers feel the need to touch my belly. Am I Buddha? Do you need to rub me for luck? The next time someone touches my stomach without asking I'm going to grab their boob. "I'm sorry I thought you were a fan of inappropriate touching."

3. Sex of the baby comments - Inevitably, I get asked if we know what we're having. My initial sarcastic response (shocking that I would have a sarcastic response I know) would be "Yes, a baby." But I don't because I know we're defiantly in the minority by not finding out. When I tell people we didn't find out they act like I'm an alien that needs to be studied for freak research. "I could NEVER do that I'm too much of a planner." I am too - that's why we don't find out. Especially, with the first one I got lots of neutral stuff so there wasn't a lot I had to buy this time around. Besides why is that so crazy not to find out? After I had Meg and they put her on my chest Nate and I had several minutes of loving her just because she was our baby not because she was our daughter. I'll never have that experience with her again.

Sorry for my little tangent. I just needed to get that out of my system. Aghhhh........ feeling better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment