Monday, August 10, 2009

The Nursery!


Newbie's nursery is done! YEAH!! It took a lot of effort, mostly from Nathan and various others (and a little nagging from me) to get to this point, but we're here. Now all we need is newbie.

My mom painted it a medium green. She painted Megan's nursery in Georgia she wanted to do the same for newbie. Very pretty and calming - always something you need in a nursery. Nathan found a convertible crib (it'll eventually convert into a toddler bed then into a headboard and foot board for a double bed) on craigslist and brought it home. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE craigslist by the way. The rocker and dresser came from Meg's room since she got big girl furniture. OK, well she got the furniture that was originally in this room & in the guest room, but we're calling it her big girl furniture since I wanted the nursery furniture to match. The decorations are classic Winnie-the-Pooh and were handed down from my cousin. She used them with all 3 of her girls and my grandmother (the one Megan is named after) bought them for her. Love the family connection! I sewed the curtains myself. I have to admit they're very amateurish but look cute as long as you don't look to hard.


Of course, the baby has a bookcase in his/her room. Megan has one too. Believe it or not, the hardest part of getting the nursery ready was going through all of the kids books and selecting ones to put in the nursery. Reading is such a huge part of Meg's (and of course mine!) life it was really hard to get take some of her lesser loved books for newbie. Maybe I should just go buy a ton more for this one? I bet Nathan would just love that. I already spend too much money on kids books. I just can't resist. I love children's books.

When I found out I was knocked up we realized we had to rearrange all of the furniture upstairs so we could have a nursery, Meg's room and a guest room. The double bed started out in the guest room, then got moved into the nursery when we figured out Megan was not ready for a big girl bed. OK, well I realized it and had to convince Nate of that fact. It wasn't until I went to Baltimore for a long weekend and he tried to put Megan in the double bed that he agreed with me. Who wants to be up with a newborn AND a toddler? Dressers, side tables, & beds all got reworked. To make things a little more difficult, Nate and I bought a new bedroom set as our Christmas present to each other so we suddenly went from not having enough furniture to having too much furniture. Fortunately, the nursery & Megan's room are pretty big so they can accommodate the extra furniture without feeling over crowded.


It turned out to be a good thing that I was too lazy (although I prefer busy) to get the nursery decorations hung in Megan's room. She never noticed when I took the stack of pictures and things from her closet and transferred them to the new nursery. That meant I got to decorate Megan's room. Nathan is still refinishing the dresser that will go in Meg's room so when that's done I'll post pictures of her big girl room. I love it, even if it is girly-ier than I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment