Friday, July 3, 2009

Swim Lessons & Gymnastics

I signed Megan up for swim lessons and a gymnastics class in an effort to battle boredom for both of us this summer. As expected Megan LOVES both classes. Because Meg is only 2, I have to accompany her into both classes. I must admit it's kind of funny seeing me chase after Megan with my ginormous tummy.

The swim lessons consisted of only 4 sessions and was more about getting used to the idea of swimming; blowing bubbles, kicking, jumping into the pool, etc.. In the very first class, all of the other kids were either screaming or holding tight to their mommies and Megan was, well, being Megan. She was yelling, "I do it myself!" and "Mama, put me down!" That's right, my daughter, Miss Independent, decided that despite the water being 4 feet deep and over her head she would rather drown than suffer the indignity of being held by me. Thankfully, they had platforms that they put in the pool so she COULD do it herself. The instructor was laughing at how independent Megan insisted on being. Overall, she did a great job. Blowing bubbles proved to be a little difficult. More often than not she would end up trying to drinking the water. Squirting me with the squirt toys proved to be her favorite part.

Gymnastics class is still going strong. It's a great, very age appropriate class that has structured time and free play. They class is truly built with toddlers in mind. The instructors don't mind when the kids run off or refuse to try a new skill. Which is wonderful because Megan is usually the one who is running away telling me, "I do it myself." Hmmm....I'm sensing a theme here. The first 15 mins. or so we sing and and practice large motor skills like jumping, running or skipping. The next 25 mins. the kids have free play. Basically the parents follow their child and prevent them from killing themselves. Honestly, some days this is harder than others with my little dare devil. During this time, the instructor introduces the skills of the day which are things like rolls, swinging from the bars or walking on the balance beam and the kids are free to try them at their leisure. It should come as no surprise that Megan is pretty coordinated. She can do forward rolls by herself, which she does so over and over and over again. to the point of making herself dizzy. It's actually pretty funny to see her stumble around for a few seconds. She can walk on the balance beam with very little help, and loves to swing from the bars. I literally had to pry her off today so someone else could have a turn. Then the last 10 mins. involve balls and bubbles. We sing a final song and leave with a stamp or 4. Today, Megan was able to con the teacher into giving her a stamp on each and and on each foot. Have I mentioned she is a little con artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment