Saturday, September 12, 2009

Quinn's Birth Story

I woke up at 12:40 Mon. (Labor Day!) morning when my water broke. I labored at home until my contractions were between 2-4 mins apart. We got to the hospital at 5 am. When I got checked out and the baby was so posterior that the resident couldn't reach my cervix. Based on what she could feel she estimated I was only 2cm dilated, but since my water had broken I had to stay. Of course, once I got checked in and was put in a room my contractions stopped. The doctor and nurses agreed to let me be and try to get things started on my own and not to check me for dilation unless I asked. Nate and I walked the halls for hours. Whenever I walked I got contractions, but when I stopped they stopped. Finally, at 1 pm. I told Nate I would let them check me when they came in to do the fetal monitoring at 2 and if I wasn't any further dilated I'd get pitocin. Around 1:15 contractions picked up and at 1:50 I sent Nate out to find the nurse so I could get in the shower. 2 nurses came back (my nurse and one who had the longest fingers to find my cervix). They checked me and I was 8 cm. They went to call the doctor & get some towels. With the next contraction I leaned into Nathan, my legs buckled and I started pushing. Nathan couldn't reach the call button so he started yelling "HELP!" They came running back in and helped get me on the bed. They checked me again and I was 10 cm. One nurse went running to call the doc & get the resident since they didn't think the doctor would get there in time. (he had gone home). I was on my hands and knees and Nate ended up sitting on the top of the headboard holding my shoulders while I pushed. The counter pressure really helped. The doctor made it, (barely!) and after 30 mins of pushing Quinn arrived. Nathan cut the cord and was the one to tell me the baby was a boy. It was a miraculous experience.

On a funny note, while we were waiting for the doctor to come the resident came in, his eyes got big, and he was going "Ugh.....How do I deliver this?" The nurses kept telling him "You'll be fine. Just catch." Apparently, he had never delivered in any other position besides feet in stirrups. So glad I could be the one to educate him!





No comments:

Post a Comment